book review: children of blood and bone // tomi adeyemi


Children of Blood and Bone


Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)

Author: Tomi Adeyemi

Series: Legacy of Orïsha - Book 1

Genre: Fantasy + Young Adult

Synopsis:

They killed my mother.
They took our magic.
They tried to bury us.

Now we rise.

Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zélie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls.

But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.

Now Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good.

Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers and her growing feelings for an enemy. 

Rate: 3.5 / 5 ⭐

"We are all children of blood and bone.
All instruments of vengeance and virtue."

Review: 

I have a lot of thoughts on this book. It sounded very interesting cause its fantasy and based on Nigerian mythology (specifically about the Orisha). Something that i have never read about before. And the premise sounded interesting too. In this world magic is forbidden and most of the maji were killed years before, so only a few survive. Zelie, our main character is one of them. However. they cannot do magic because somehow due some incident that the tyrant king had done, their magic dissappeared. There are also two other characters, a runaway princess and her brother, who is supposed to hunt down Zelie.

There wer some interesting action packed scenes. But that's the thing, there were only some scenes. Most of the book was very slow paced and oh. my. gosh. the romance. It was unnecessary! It felt so forced and rushed and i dont know why the author thought to write about it. I mean the book would have been better without the weird insta love?? thing going on. I mean if there was a need (there was no need) for the romance, a good enemies to lovers trope would have fit this one well. 

Another thing I didnt like was Inan (the brother). He was so confused half the time, I was confused half the time because of him. I think Amari (the princess) and Mama Agbah were the only characters I really liked. 

So all in all, I am not impressed with the writing and the book overall, I mean it wasnt bad. It just wasnt that good. Also, am not saying I didnt like the book because its poc. I mean I am poc so yea, its just the story could have been done better. The idea of it all is so interesting and I really liked the magic elements being based on the legends of Orisha. Maybe if you are not a very critical and cynical reader like me, you might enjoy the book, so do give it a try!

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧



Comments

Popular Posts