Book Review: Refuge // Sajla Anees

Refuge 



Author: Sajla Anees

Genre: Fiction

Synopsis:


The war is nothing but cruel. With the conditions worsening overnight, newly married Noora is compelled to leave her husband for her own safety. Does the future hold any hope for her in war-torn Syria? Or is every sacrifice and attempt at hope futile? The story of Noora is one of faith and perseverance within one of the worst humanitarian crises of our time.


CW: war, death


Rate: 4.5 / 5 ⭐

"Sometimes, we had to experience the loss of something we loved dearly, only to find the One Who deserved our love the most."

Review: 

Refuge is a story about Noora who lives in war-torn Syria. You would think when one talks of a country where there are bombs and deaths everyday that is all that the story will be about. Although the war has taught the characters and us that nothing is will last more than today, it has also taught us to hope and pray. This story teaches us to hold on to our faith even in the most desperate of times. 

I can't say much without spoiling the story but I do love this book. I am truly in awe of people who still work and push through during these times at war.  Living in a country where nothing is certain it must be exhausting, sometimes it is detrimental but they work hard, helping one another, spreading love and hope. 

What I loved about the book would be the reminders of our deen, my favourite would be relating the scenes Noora went through or perceived to the stories of the prophets. And also how much it talks about hope. How she hoped and prayed to Allah when life got tough, her perseverance was because of her unfaltering faith in her Lord. I wish I could have that, I have to work towards that. 

However, I did want to have more depth in terms of the relationships that Noora formed with her friends and family. Especially in the beginning, it went by too fast that I barely registered any of the characters. Apart from that this book was a gem and I definitely recommend it to everyone!

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Comments

Popular Posts