Series Review: The Power of Five // Anthony Horowitz

Hello!

This is my first series review, I think? I wasn't sure how to review them as individual books, so I decided to review the series as a whole. 

The Power of Five


Author: Anthony Horowitz

Series (5 books)

Format: Paperback

Genre: Fantasy | Supernatural | Young Adult


Synopsis (Raven's Gate #1):

He always knew he was different.
First there were the dreams.
Then the deaths began.


When Matt Freeman gets into trouble with the police, he's sent to be fostered in Yorkshire. It's not long before he senses there's something wrong with his guardian; with the whole village.

Then Matt learns about the Old Ones and begins to understand just how he is different. But no one will believe him; no one can help.

There is no proof. There is no logic. There is just the Gate.


Ratings:

Raven's Gate: 3.5 / 5 

Evil Star: 3.5 / 5 

Nightrise: 3.5 / 5 

Necropolis: 4 / 5 

Oblivion: 4 / 5 

 

Overall Rate:  3.5 / 5 

 

"There are two worlds. The world you understand and the world you don’t. These worlds exist side by side, sometimes only centimetres apart, and the great majority of people spend their entire lives in one without being aware of the other. It’s like living on one side of a mirror: you think there is nothing on the other side until one day a switch is thrown and suddenly the mirror is transparent. You see the other side."

 

Review:

The series premise is that there are five people who have the powers to stop the Old Ones from wrecking Chaos on Earth. They have done it once before and we are about to witness it happen again. There are five books in the series; each book is an introduction to the Five. Matthew in Raven's Gate, Pedro in Evil Star, Jamie and Scott in Nightrise and Scarlett in Necropolis. 

To be honest I wasn't very invested in the story for the first three books. Not that they weren't good, but because I had waited five to six years to actually read them since I bought the books. Looking back I do realize the story is impressive. From the settings to the characters, it was written well. Each character had their own complex stories and the development of these characters was so good. My favourite had to be the fourth book, Necropolis. In this, we are introduced to Scarlett and I loved her. Her power is also the coolest out of the five. However, by the end of the final book, I think I came to love all of them. Their characters were pushed to the extreme here and I wasn't even sure how it was going to end. 

I also loved the settings of the books. They took me all over the globe from the UK to Peru to Hong Kong to Antartica! And I have heard that Anthony Horowitz visits the locations of the settings in his books, which is so cool! I mean imagine going to Antarctica just for the research of a book!

Although the traumatizing stuff that these teenagers do go through seems just as much as any other YA out there I still love Horowitz's way of writing and handling these situations. But I also can't help but wonder that if he did write this series as upper YA or Adult how much darker and grittier this could have been. I would have definitely loved it that much more.

Anyways I still do recommend this series to you guys, 15 or 25!

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Comments

Popular Posts