Book Review: The Girl on the Train // Paula Hawkins

 I have forgotten how to write reviews (again) so please bear with me until I get back into it. I very randomly chose this as my first read of the year and I liked it ??  Yea I don't know why I put those question marks either. maybe the review will make more sense lol

Author: Paula Hawkins

Type: Stand alone

Format: Physical Book

Genre: Mystery | Thriller

Publication Date: 13 January 2015

Synopsis: 

Rachel catches the same commuter train every morning. She knows it will wait at the same signal each time, overlooking a row of back gardens. She’s even started to feel like she knows the people who live in one of the houses. “Jess and Jason,” she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. If only Rachel could be that happy. And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Now Rachel has a chance to become a part of the lives she’s only watched from afar. Now they’ll see; she’s much more than just the girl on the train...

Rate: 4 / 5 

Review: 

This was a pretty well written book given the fact that all of the characters seemed like unreliable narrators. Like there were too many red herrings in the book, which was understandable because the main narrator, Rachel, was an alcoholic. There was a point in the story where I wished her alcoholism to go away just so I could get to the bottom of the mystery but there was a reason the character had it. I did guess the culprit about 60% into the book though. I was like 'no way it could be this person!' but then it was that person and I gave myself a good pat on the back for solving the mystery very well (lol). Personally, I am not someone who gets annoyed if I guess the plot twist right because it means I have read the clues and the foreshadowing that the author has sprinkled throughout the story very well. 

The characters honestly aren't likeable at all. And I don't really expect likeable characters in a mystery / thriller anyway so that's all good. But i do think Rachel, Megan and Tom were well written characters (likeable? no. but well written? yes. there is a difference!)

The story is told in different POVs in different timelines as well but as all usual thrillers, they converge to the same timeline at the end. That's when everything usually starts to make sense. This book reads very fast which was why I think I was able to finish it within 2 days so I'd recommend this to anyone who is interested in thrillers and want to give it a go.

p.s. I know, the review sucks. give me time to get used to writing reviews again. 

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧




Comments

Popular Posts