Book Review: The Theft of Sunlight // Intisar Khanani

Author: Intisar Khanani

Series: Dauntless Path #2

Format: E-Book

Genre: YA | Fantasy

Publication Date: 23 March 2021

Pages: 528

Synopsis: 

I did not choose this fate. But I will not walk away from it.

Children have been disappearing from across Menaiya for longer than Amraeya ni Ansarim can remember. When her friend’s sister is snatched, Rae knows she can’t look away any longer - even if that means seeking answers from the royal court, where her country upbringing and clubfoot will only invite ridicule.

Yet the court holds its share of surprises. There she discovers an ally in the foreign princess, who recruits her as an attendant. Armed with the princess’s support, Rae seeks answers in the dark city streets, finding unexpected help in a rough-around-the-edges street thief with secrets of his own. But treachery runs deep, and the more Rae uncovers, the more she endangers the kingdom itself.

Rate: 5 / 5 ⭐

Review: 

Before I really begin I must say that I love this book to bits and you will not hear anything bad about this book from me. 

This book isn't a direct sequel to Khanani's previous book, Thorn, because I think you can read this book without reading that one but for the best experience I would recommend reading Thorn first. So it was a pleasant surprise to see the characters from Thorn who I so dearly loved (Cause I wasn't aware that we were getting the story in the same setting). First things first, the characters, cause that was what I loved the most about this book. 

Rae, Amraeya, is a brilliant and smart and amazing character. Her determination to uncover the plot behind child trafficking and the way her character develops along the story was something that made me feel proud. Her confidence in herself, especially as a disabled woman, and how it grows the more she unravels the mystery, and the more people she meets outside her circle, it's marvellous. My favourite about Rae, how fiercely protective she is of her family. Anyone who mentions threats to them, they are done for. 

Bren, our 'rough around the edges street thief'. we don't get to know much about him but there is just a little bit of him enough to keep you wanting more. like seriously, I think I did cheerleader screams every time Bren showed up. I also liked how there was no trying to justify him as a person, he is who he is and we have to come to terms with that. my favourite about him is that he would do anything to protect the people he wanted to protect. and it shows!

Alyrra and Kestrin are from her previous work, Thorn. I was super excited to see them in this book because it was their wedding. The whole wedding procession and the events leading up to it were very well-detailed and beautifully written. And the way Khanani writes about their love is so adorable. I wish I had noted down quotes but since it was an ebook I didn't. But their wedding story balanced out the intensity of the main plot.

The plot was well written, and the way she weaved all the little plots together to form the story while at the same time tackling a very serious social issue, hats off to her! Some of the plot twists I could already guess, but because of the way they were built up and executed, it didn't feel boring. but you know what was annoying, the book ended on a cliffhanger T-T

but you know what isn't annoying, I have the next book with me 😏 overall, this book has a good mystery with high stakes, very compelling and brilliant non-white characters in a non-white setting (sorry had to mention it).

note: the balcony scene *HIGH PITCHED YELLING but softly because I didn't want to wake up the family*

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Comments

Popular Posts